Need a DINNER the ENTIRE FAMILY will LOVE? Spinach Basil Meatballs are a HIT with kids and adults, and they’re so nutritious!
Sometimes toddlers can go through phases where it’s difficult to get them to eat meat/protein. These meatballs can prove helpful during that period, as many kids find them irresistible!
Spinach Basil Meatball recipe:
Age: 10 months plus
Yield: 20-24 meatballs
Food storage: refrigerator friendly, freezer friendly
Serving: self-feed, family friendly
- ¼ cup yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup baby spinach tightly packed, preferably organic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 egg, preferably organic
- 9 fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 pound ground beef, preferably organic and grass-fed
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Italian bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Place the onion, garlic, spinach, salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, egg, basil, and mustard in a blender. Pulse the blender 10 – 15 times or until the ingredients are chopped. (Do not turn blender on continuously.)
Line a baking sheet with foil and place a broiler rack on top.
In a large mixing bowl, add the beef, mixture from the blender, cheese, bread crumbs, and chia seeds. Mix thoroughly with hands. Using hands, roll into small meatballs (smaller than golf ball size). Place the meatballs on the broiler rack. Repeat until all of the meat mixture is finished.
Place the meatballs in the middle rack in the center of the oven. Bake for approximately 24 minutes or until the meat is fully cooked and no longer pink inside. Remove the meatballs with tongs, cool slightly, and serve!
Do you like our recipe videos? Follow us on Facebook for more!
Check out our cookbook What a Good Eater! for baby & toddler recipes with healthy herbs and spices to add flavor and broaden your baby’s palette, now available on Amazon! If you enjoyed this post, sign up to receive our newsletter for other great ideas on feeding your baby, toddler, and family.
- Is Your Baby Ready to Eat Solid Foods? What a Good Eater Podcast - July 23, 2018
- Useful Tips for Drama-Free Dinners: What a Good Eater Podcast - July 11, 2018
- Black Bean & Veggie Kiddie Quesadilla Recipe - June 22, 2018
- How To Get Your Kids to Try New Foods: What a Good Eater Podcast - June 12, 2018
- How To Ensure Success With Kids at Mealtime: What a Good Eater Podcast - June 12, 2018
- Easy Summer Smoothies - May 28, 2018
- 5 Ways to Serve Avocado to Kids - August 1, 2017
- Healthy Summer Snacks to Take To Go - June 27, 2017
- Portion Sizes for Kids - April 12, 2017
- 10 Healthy Snacks for a Young Toddler - February 27, 2017