This may be the best summer yet for my kids and me! T-ball, soccer camp, summer camp, and swimming pools have been our life lately, and when I come to the realization that I can’t possibly serve my kids another almond butter and jelly sandwich or grilled cheese (even though they still request it), this is a recipe I’ve been making, and the kids love it! This black bean and veggie quesadilla recipe makes a delicious, healthy, no fuss lunch or dinner in about 10 minutes! It’s also hearty, so my hungry boys get their fill and I don’t have to worry about what I’m going to serve them next, and next…
Watch our video recipe below to see how to make it!
Scroll down for the full recipe. We hope you enjoy!
Black Bean & Veggie kiddie Quesadilla Recipe
Prep time: approximately 5 minutes
Cook time: approximately 8 minutes
Serving size: 1 Quesadilla (4 triangles)
Serving options: Family friendly, refrigerator friendly
- 1/2 teaspoon butter (or just enough to coat the bottom of the pan when melted)
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, preferably organic
- 3 tablespoons low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons diced orange/red/yellow bell pepper, preferably organic
- 2 tablespoons diced grape tomatoes, preferably organic
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, melt the butter. Add 1 tortilla to the pan and top with approximately 1/4 cup grated cheese (or enough to spread in a single layer across the tortilla).
- After about 1 minute, add the black beans, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining grated cheese and put the other tortilla on top to create a “sandwich”. Allow the cheese to melt for 1-2 minutes. Carefully flip the quesadilla and cook until the bottom of the tortilla is nicely browned and the cheese has melted.
- Transfer the quesadilla to a cutting board or plate, slicing it into 4 triangles using a pizza slicer. Serve this delicious, kid-friendly summer lunch with some freshly mashed avocado and a sprinkle of lemon juice. Add your kid’s favorite seasonal fresh fruit, and you are all set! (Don’t forget to make one for yourself–you’re going to want one too!)
Check out the What a Good Eater! cookbook for fantastic ideas on family friendly meals, sample food schedules and menus by age, healthy snack ideas by age, and meals ready in about 30 minutes or less for busy parents.
- Is Your Baby Ready to Eat Solid Foods? What a Good Eater Podcast - July 23, 2018
- Useful Tips for Drama-Free Dinners: What a Good Eater Podcast - July 11, 2018
- Black Bean & Veggie Kiddie Quesadilla Recipe - June 22, 2018
- How To Get Your Kids to Try New Foods: What a Good Eater Podcast - June 12, 2018
- How To Ensure Success With Kids at Mealtime: What a Good Eater Podcast - June 12, 2018
- Easy Summer Smoothies - May 28, 2018
- 5 Ways to Serve Avocado to Kids - August 1, 2017
- Healthy Summer Snacks to Take To Go - June 27, 2017
- Portion Sizes for Kids - April 12, 2017
- 10 Healthy Snacks for a Young Toddler - February 27, 2017