10 Healthy Snacks for a Young Toddler
As your baby transitions out of babyhood and into toddlerhood, you might wonder what kinds of snacks to feed him. He’s moving passed purees, but still learning how to tolerate and tackle table foods. Try small pieces of diced soft foods, and try to offer mainly fruits and vegetables at snack time. They’re nutritious and light so that your baby will still be hungry at mealtime. Here are 10 healthy snacks for a young toddler!
10 Healthy Snacks for a Young Toddler:
1. Avocado: Filled with fiber and potassium, avocados make a great midmorning or afternoon snack. Try them mashed or diced into small pieces.
2. Cheese: Take a thinly sliced piece of cheese (cut for sandwiches) and dice it into small pieces for your child. Many kids love cheese!
3. Peas: Who says peas don’t make a great snack? Serve a few peas to your child at a time, and just make sure your toddler puts them in his mouth one at a time to avoid choking!
4. Banana: A soft food and a favorite of many kids! Try it mashed or diced.
5. Yogurt: Naturally smooth and creamy, yogurt makes an excellent snack. We recommend plain yogurt since most flavored, store-bought brands are high in sugar.
6. Smoothies: Try mixing fruit with vegetables and serve your child a delicious drink or spoon feed it to him.
7. Beets: Many kids are big fans of beets! They are soft and naturally sweet. Try them steamed or roasted and cut them into small pieces for your toddler.
8. Pears: They’re naturally sweet and high in fiber. Dice them up and watch him enjoy!
9. Berries: Try diced strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries. Most kids love them and they are naturally high in fiber and antioxidants!
10. Steamed Carrots: Bite sized pieces of soft, steamed carrots are easy for little ones to pick up and put in their mouth and they’re high in vitamin A! Just make sure you take a few minutes to steam and soften them since raw carrots can be a choking hazard for small children.
Did you find these ideas helpful? For more healthy snack ideas and recipes by age, check out our cookbook What a Good Eater! for baby & toddler recipes with healthy herbs and spices to add flavor and broaden your baby’s palette, now available on Amazon! If you enjoyed this post, sign up to receive our newsletter for other great ideas on feeding your baby, toddler, and family.
- Is Your Baby Ready to Eat Solid Foods? What a Good Eater Podcast - July 23, 2018
- Useful Tips for Drama-Free Dinners: What a Good Eater Podcast - July 11, 2018
- Black Bean & Veggie Kiddie Quesadilla Recipe - June 22, 2018
- How To Get Your Kids to Try New Foods: What a Good Eater Podcast - June 12, 2018
- How To Ensure Success With Kids at Mealtime: What a Good Eater Podcast - June 12, 2018
- Easy Summer Smoothies - May 28, 2018
- 5 Ways to Serve Avocado to Kids - August 1, 2017
- Healthy Summer Snacks to Take To Go - June 27, 2017
- Portion Sizes for Kids - April 12, 2017
- 10 Healthy Snacks for a Young Toddler - February 27, 2017
+ There are no commentsAdd yours