On the weekends, my husband cuts the grass and works in the yard, and our 3-year-old son, Landon, loves to watch him! Once the work is done, Landon and his dad sit together on the back porch (admiring their work) while enjoying lemonade and popsicles to cool down. Normally, we purchase store-bought popsicles, but a friend of mine inspired me to try to make my own!
Homemade Fruit Popsicles Recipe for Kids
Age: 15 months plus
Yield: about 10 popsicles
Food storage: freezer friendly
Total time: 15 minutes active prep time, 1 hour in freezer
Serving options: self-feed, family friendly meal
- 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced into rounds at least ½ inch thick
- ½ banana, peeled and sliced into rounds at least ½ inch thick
- 1 peach, cut into slices
- 2-3 tablespoons organic almond butter or peanut butter
- 7 almonds, finely minced
- lollipop sticks (can be found at craft store or baking aisle of grocery store)
- Line a flat tray or dish with parchment paper. (Make sure the tray/dish can fit into your freezer.)
- Carefully insert the lollipop sticks into the fruit slices, then place them on the parchment paper.
3. Freeze the fruit for about 1 hour or until frozen through.
4. Place the nut butter on a flat plate. Dip one side of each fruit into the nut butter.
5. Place the almonds on a flat plate. Dip the nut butter side of each fruit into the almonds to coat.
6. Refreeze or serve immediately, and enjoy!
Needless to say, Landon thoroughly enjoyed these popsicles on the back porch today! He even helped me place the popsicles sticks in the fruit. You can experiment with other toppings, too: coconut flakes, minced raisins, even chocolate chips for a warm weather treat!
What’s your summer go-to cool down snack? Please share with us in the comments section!
If you enjoyed this post, sign up to receive our newsletter for other great ideas on feeding your baby, toddler, and family. Look out for our upcoming cookbook What a Good Eater! for baby & toddler recipes with healthy herbs and spices to add flavor and broaden your baby’s palette, expected 2016.
- 5 Ways to Serve Avocado to Kids - August 1, 2017
- Healthy Summer Snacks to Take To Go - June 27, 2017
- Portion Sizes for Kids - April 12, 2017
- 10 Healthy Snacks for a Young Toddler - February 27, 2017
- MilkTail Recipe: A Fun New Year’s Eve Drink for Kids - December 19, 2016
- Thanksgiving Apple Turkey Recipe: Edible Decoration - November 18, 2016
- Baby Green Machine Baby Food Recipe - November 1, 2016
- How To Take a Toddler to a Fancy Restaurant - October 5, 2016
- Egg and Toast Squares, Breakfast To Go! - September 19, 2016
- Fun Food Interview with a 3-Year-Old - September 14, 2016