It’s that time of year! Spring is in the air, we’re all emerging from hibernation – and we’re craving crisp, cool, and crunchy foods! This week’s recipe is one that will appear in our book. It was one of my favorites to feed Penelope last year – it’s fast to prepare, it’s nutritious, and best of all, it requires ZERO cooking! It’s an excellent finger food for toddlers as well as babies just starting to grab and feed themselves.
These yummy cool cucumber sandwich bites will satisfy your toddler’s lunch appetite on a warm sunny day, and we guarantee you’ll make one for yourself, too – we each ate one for lunch today! Serve these up with a side of diced fruit, such as mango or melon, for a deliciously nutritious summer lunch.
Without further ado…
Cool as a Cucumber Sandwich Bites
Age: 10 months+
Yield: 1 sandwich
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: no cook!
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1 – 1 ½ tbsp. cream cheese (enough to spread a thin layer)
- 2 tbsp. grated cucumber (about 1/3 cucumber). Peeling skin is optional if you purchase organic.
- ½ tsp fresh dill, minced
Spread the cream cheese onto the slice of bread in a thin layer. Cut bread evenly in half. Pat the grated cucumber dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Top one half of the bread with grated cucumber, followed by dill.
Place the other half on top to make a sandwich. (Be sure to give it a good press, so that the halves stick together.) Remove crusts from bread, and cut up into bite-size cubes. Serve.
- Zoodles with Ground Turkey and Sauce - July 15, 2018
- Which Foods to Purchase Organic and Why: What a Good Eater Podcast - July 3, 2018
- How to Handle Kids Obsessed with Sweets: What a Good Eater Podcast - June 27, 2018
- 3 Super Ingredients to Add to Your Smoothie - June 20, 2018
- 4 Ways to Entertain Your Kids While You Cook: What a Good Eater Podcast - June 12, 2018
- Non-Meat Protein Ideas for Kids - October 9, 2017
- Healing Constipation Naturally Through Diet - June 27, 2017
- Sample Schedule of Life with 2 Toddlers - June 15, 2017
- 5 Healthy Smoothie Options for Babies, Toddlers, and Families - March 20, 2017
- Keep Ingredients Fresh with Infinity Jars - February 23, 2017