Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and Nutmeg
This recipe is a seasonal treat that toddlers will especially enjoy around Fall and Thanksgiving. In this recipe, naturally sweet acorn squash is presented with warm flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg…reminiscent of a pumpkin pie! You can feel guiltless about this delectable vegetable. Acorn squash provides an excellent source of Vitamin C and Potassium. Make this an enjoyable experience for older toddlers and allow them to eat the squash right out of the shell!
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Remove the top of the acorn squash, then cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds with a spoon. Place the squash skin side down on a baking sheet lined with foil. Place the butter in a small bowl and melt in the microwave for approximately 20-30 seconds or until the butter is liquefied. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg to the butter and stir to mix well. Pour the butter mixture over the squash, coating all the flesh of the squash evenly.
Roast the squash for 1 hour or until tender with a fork. If spoon-feeding to your baby, use a spoon to remove the flesh of the squash from its shell and transfer desired portion to a small bowl. Older toddlers can enjoy this dining experience right out of the shell! If storing leftovers, place the acorn shell halves in an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator.
Check out our cookbook What a Good Eater! for baby & toddler recipes with healthy herbs and spices to add flavor and broaden your baby’s palette, now available on Amazon! If you enjoyed this post, sign up to receive our newsletter for other great ideas on feeding your baby, toddler, and family.
- Is Your Baby Ready to Eat Solid Foods? What a Good Eater Podcast - July 23, 2018
- Useful Tips for Drama-Free Dinners: What a Good Eater Podcast - July 11, 2018
- Black Bean & Veggie Kiddie Quesadilla Recipe - June 22, 2018
- How To Get Your Kids to Try New Foods: What a Good Eater Podcast - June 12, 2018
- How To Ensure Success With Kids at Mealtime: What a Good Eater Podcast - June 12, 2018
- Easy Summer Smoothies - May 28, 2018
- 5 Ways to Serve Avocado to Kids - August 1, 2017
- Healthy Summer Snacks to Take To Go - June 27, 2017
- Portion Sizes for Kids - April 12, 2017
- 10 Healthy Snacks for a Young Toddler - February 27, 2017